Brookline Interactive Group is pleased to announce an opening in the education department! We are looking to fill the position of Media Education and Engagement Specialist at Brookline Interactive Group & Public VR Lab to help expand our community media mission and build the field of Community XR locally & globally. We are looking for candidates with passion and experience in public accessibility, civic engagement, and media/tech education and teaching to join our awesome team!
BIG serves the Brookline community as an integrated media and technology education facility. As a community media hub and incubator, BIG provides access to innovative media-making tools, facilitates diverse community dialogues through media, offers collaborative programs, technical training, and community outreach strategies for nonprofit organizations, education, and local government.
This position requires a degree in a media-related field and three years experience in education. The closing date for applications is February 7, 2020. Interested persons should submit an application with a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Media Education and Engagement Specialist
Reports to: Director of Programs
Job Requirements (typical duties may include but are not limited to the following):
Education (an estimated 70% of time)
- Write and implement digital media curriculum for a variety of ages, including K-12, and adults at all levels.
- Act as liaison between K-8 after-school activities and enrichment directors and BIG staff.
- Manage media files and equipment designated for all classes.
- Organize and attend after school film festivals and/or screenings at the end of each session, as needed.
- Teach a range of adult education media-related classes, as needed for BIG and partner organizations. Help students complete their projects and deliver assets on time to client.
- Design and provide feedback on program and grant proposals; coordinate with partner organizations.
- Facilitate the BIG equipment certification process, ensuring that equipment users are appropriately educated and trained; follow up with new and existing members on project proposals to assure timely response to project deadlines.
- Create orientation videos to help train and orient new and existing members, in addition to in-person training (editing, tech questions, gear questions).
- Assist with the job training apprentices and interns; training, mentoring, and devising projects.
Engagement (an estimated 20% of time)
- Update social media, send out production emails, edit promotional blasts, post on cable/online channels to spread awareness of BIG projects; promote events/classes.
- Design graphics, flyers and content to promote BIG’s workshops and programs.
- Assist other departments to promote BIG, including website updates/ field shoots.
- Create trailers and promos that highlight BIG’s work.
- Film testimonials of members and students to recruit new participants.
- Collaborate with co-workers to help plan and staff events.
- Help with intern recruitment and attendance at internship fairs.
Administrative (an estimated 10% of time)
- Schedule classes, equipment and facilities as needed for classes and workshops.
- Track attendance and completion of course in all classes and workshops. Report on all classes and workshops monthly.
- Administer surveys, and class pre and post evaluations.
- Invoice partner organizations and schools. Collect fees from adult students when required.
- Troubleshoots equipment failures and documents any problems with engineering and operations staff.
Working knowledge of:
- Advanced beginner to intermediate technical aspects of video production; production, cameras, lighting, sound engineering, Adobe Creative Suite, iPad video editing and digital media apps, basic web design and maintenance (WordPress), and uploading video to the web.
- Mac OS X and Windows environment computer experience with graphics, word processing, Internet, and database tools.
- Ability to research and troubleshoot technical equipment repair and replacement; manage facilities, and conduct inventory, generate reports and suggest efficiencies.
- Leadership skills, ability to take initiative and solve problems in a fast-paced environment, communicate immediate concerns and resolutions with team and supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in related media, communications and/or education field, with two-three years of teaching experience.
- Adobe Certification not required, but is highly desirable.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Teach classes to a variety of age groups; enthusiastically transfer knowledge of highly complex equipment and production in common terms to community users of all ages, and various levels of expertise with professionalism and patience.
- Write curriculum for variety of media-related classes, and adapt for a wide-range of ages and abilities.
- Work creatively and flexibly in a collaborative team environment, operating autonomously under minimal supervision and to provide and accept direction, supervision and guidance when appropriate.
- Arrive early to meetings and classes; follow up on tasks and long-term projects.
- Positively represent BIG as an organization while working in the field. Convey a warm, friendly, respectful, and professional public manner.
- Be organized, create work plans and meet deliverables using advanced project management skills.
- Show competency in a non-profit or community-oriented environment with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Work effectively with school, government and business entities.
- Excellent communication skills in English, with impeccable spelling or the ability to edit professional documents at a high-level of written communication.
- Communicate concerns and conflicts openly and positively, and is quick to resolve and solve project challenges with peers, coworkers and supervisor.
- Use Web 3.0 and social media tools to engage community.
- Research and analyze technology tools; train and mentor non-techie staff and volunteers.
- Must be comfortable and available for night and weekend shifts, on a monthly basis.
- Must be willing to use personal vehicle for business-related travel in Brookline and Boston.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license (or be willing to obtain one upon employment), have a safe driving record, and maintain Massachusetts minimum required automobile insurance.
- Must pass CORI check.
- Must demonstrate production and graphic design ability.