We’re hiring! 11.1.22
Reports to: Executive Director
Application Deadline: Ongoing, but interviews will be held as applications are submitted.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Samples of your work with links would be welcome. No calls, please.
Reports to: Executive Director
Brookline Interactive Group seeks a community-focused, equity-centered, tech-savvy professional to develop and manage community media projects including local news, information, civic engagement and traditional/emerging media storytelling programs.
This position is a full time, salaried exempt career position with an excellent benefits and compensation package, including a 5% matching contribution (in 2022) to our employees’ 401(k). This is currently a four-day a week in-person position Monday-Thursdays, with a remote day on Fridays. Office hours are generally 10-7pm, with some evening and/or morning shifts, and occasional in-person work on Fridays and on weekends.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will oversee BIG’s day-to-day facility and community media operations, assuring that all equipment is in working order for staff and members; providing media and technology training to the public; training staff and providing administrative support, and driving special events, membership, education and community outreach to support the organization’s overarching goals of building community, offering digital equity and inclusivity, inspiring creativity, and launching innovation.
Organizational Development & Operations 40%
- The Deputy Director will lead the team to assure efficient day-to-day operations of BIG’s facility, cable channels, and live streaming programming. They will assure that all facility and organizational programs are adequately scheduled, staff are highly-trained and resourced, and that key performance indicators (KPIs) are met quarterly.
- The Deputy Director will support the fundraising and program development efforts for new and existing initiatives. These initiatives will be highly-informed by deep community listening and data, and be equity-centered, working collaboratively with existing and new stakeholders.
- Designs or finds training programs for staff, members and volunteers.
Civic Brookline 40%
- The Director will build and manage our upcoming 2023 launch of a local information hub CivicBrookline.com that engages with community members to produce authentic content, to increase access to services and public information, promote equitable civic engagement, provide training community journalists and multimedia storytellers, and serve audiences in Brookline and beyond.
- The Director will assure that BIG’s content and process reflects the concerns, interests and needs of our audience, informed by community listening campaigns and culture.
- They will be responsible for managing staff content creation, community calendars and contributing writers, interns and volunteers.
- Expand relationships with Town, schools and community partners.
Emerging & Traditional Media 10%
- The Director will design and support new and revised community media programs of BIG & the Public VR Lab, that will support new participants, grants, and earned income from civic/public interest media education programs, production-based earned income and memberships.
Content Creation 10%
- Creates documentation, handbooks and manuals for staff and members.
- Coordinates and distributes a regular programming guide for seniors.
- Coordinates channel bulletin board posts, calendars and other information on the cable channels, for streaming events and content for civicbrookline.com.
- Meets with members, community partners and volunteers to produce, host and distribute live, streaming and archived content and programs such as elections, community forums, actions, educational and cultural events.
- Works with team to develop and write grant proposals, annual reports, presentations, and provides quarterly KPI reports to the Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work creatively and flexibly in a team environment, operating autonomously under minimal supervision, and to both provide and accept direction, supervision, and guidance when appropriate.
- Focus on equity and inclusivity in all the local storytelling we do and facilitate dialogue to serve our community.
- Communicate and be accountable with strong communication to the BIG team, storytellers, event participants, partners and funders.
- Stay apprised of innovations in the civic engagement, community news, and participatory media world.
- Gather and maintain project-related data and draft periodic impact reports.
- Other duties as needed to help Brookline Interactive Group meet its mission.
- Passionate storyteller, speaker, thinker, doer, and initiator, preferably with experience in journalism, civic tech, XR, documentary, and/or media production.
- Skilled at fostering and maintaining internal and external relationships.
- Experience in developing a story or a program from idea to final product.
- Comfortable interviewing guests for tv/multimedia content.
- Proficient in using media production equipment, social media platforms, and digital software.
- Able to work with diverse constituencies of our community with respect and integrity.
- Aware, and stays informed, of critical community issues and trends.
- Willingness to learn and develop new technology and media skills.
- Work effectively in a volunteer environment.
- Enthusiasm for Brookline Interactive Group’s mission.
Essential Physical Demands and Working Environment
- Ability to see, communicate, hear, and utilize electronic communication devices.
- Ability to travel to locations in the Northeast region as required, and occasionally to conferences outside of the region.
- Ability to work irregular hours as needed.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Requires the ability to exert a small amount of physical effort in sedentary to light work involving moving from one area to another; requires sufficient hand/eye coordination to perform repetitive movements.
- The environment is oriented to public service and subject to constant work interruptions. Employees may work under the stress of continual public and/or inter-departmental contact and work with volunteers, adhere to tight timelines and meet a high level of communications goals.
- All BIG employees are provided with a MacBook Pro with the Adobe Creative Suite, access to online tools, and media-making equipment (cameras, lighting, audio, 360 cameras, etc.)
Desired Education and/or Experience
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the skill, knowledge, and abilities required:
- At least 3 years of experience in writing for news, documentary or in multimedia creation,
- Leadership; at least 3 years of team management and staff or volunteer development,
- Deep connection to/in the Brookline-Boston area,
- Civic Tech or Journalism background are highly preferred,
- Editorial mindset, comfort with judgment calls, that seek to understand what information audiences need, what stories are missing, whose voices are not current represented, and how to create and share community news and information equitably and in a timely manner.
*Please note: All inquiries are confidential. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by BIG. BIG is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, disability, medical condition, age, genetic information, marital status, family status, political activities or affiliation, military or veteran status.